Why and How to Use QR Codes For Your Small Business Marketing
In a word becoming more digital every day, have you thought about QR codes to evolve your business marketing needs? You’ve probably seen them, but you might not know exactly what they are. QR codes, or “quick response” codes, are simply “scannable barcodes that store data”. In marketing, they commonly redirect someone to your website, a landing page, a voucher or similar.
From business cards to menus, QR codes are everywhere. “Why?” you may ask – find out for yourself and follow our guide below to get the most from your QR codes.
Why Use QR Codes?
Quick, Cheap, Convenient
Setting up a QR code does not require a lot of time, with many online sites offering free QR code software. They’re not just convenient for you, though: after a client simply scans your QR code, there’s no risk of them misplacing your information – it’s all on their phone.
Informative and Direct
If you hand a client a 20-page booklet of information about your product or service, the likelihood of them reading through it all is unlikely. However, a one-page document may not do your business justice.
A QR code can be a compromise. By linking a QR code to a central URL, all your business information is at their disposal. They can easily click on the product / service they actually want to find out more about.
Sometimes, simply talking about or printing a flyer about your product or service doesn’t do it justice. This is where a QR code can shine – your clients can simply scan and be linked to a video, a demo or more information about your product.
Always Up to Date
Have you ever printed something which is unfortunately no longer relevant in 6 months’ time? Maybe an offer has been updated, or your branding has changed.
By generating a QR code instead, the linked URL can be updated, edited and refreshed multiple times, eliminating the need for you to reprint hundreds or thousands of pages when updates or edits are made.
Track and Trace
If you follow our blog, you will know by now the importance of website analytics and gaining insight into your audience. The effectiveness of your QR codes can be tracked to see how many people have scanned it, when they scanned it, and even where they scanned it.
If you ask a prospective client who has genuine interest in your product or service to visit your website later, they may forget. Avoid the need for your clients to carry around your paperwork, which has the possibility of becoming misplaced, and instead encourage them to scan your QR code. From there, they can bookmark your website.
You can easily link a QR code to your contact details or LinkedIn profile, enabling clients to easily connect with you online. This is an ideal way for you to follow-up with them at a later time.
Call to Action
QR codes can be linked to a contact page or form to complete contact details, making it so much easier for a client to get in touch with you. However, the possibilities don’t stop there: link your QR code to an email sign-up, a discount code or a promotion.
We all know the pixelated black and white QR code. However, you do have the option to be creative with the design colours or frame surrounding your QR – incorporate your branding into your QR codes too!
How to Use QR Codes
- Who is your QR code target audience? New clients, existing clients, or a subset of one of these? This will define where you will print the QR code and how it needs to be communicated to clients.
- Decide where you want the QR code to link to – is it a particular page on your website, your contact details, your social media or somewhere they can leave reviews?
- Remember that the QR code will be linked on a mobile device, so the page will need to be mobile-friendly. While the page in question may look great on desktop, ensure it also does for mobile users– especially if this will be a client’s first impression of your business.
- Track the QR code to ensure you can get good analytics. The QR generator software you choose should allow you to track how many people have scanned it, when they scanned it, and even where they scanned it. Without good data, you won’t know if your campaign is a success!
- Produce your QR code and distribute on your chosen platform – whether it’s a flyer, on signage, on your packaging or even on your website. You will be able to see which platform works best for you through analytics.
- Want to make the most from QR codes? Our specialist team are on hand to assist you with creating, producing and analytics, ensuring your brand is always at your clients’ fingertips.
Get in touch today
Now that you’ve found out about us, we’d love to find out about you!